The Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Scale is the official name of the hurricane rating system that created Categories 1 through to 5 hurricanes. These are based on their sustained wind speeds. While Categories 1 and 2 are very dangerous, Categories 3 to 5 are considered “major hurricanes.”
Wind Speeds of the 5 Categories
- Category 1 hurricane must have sustained winds of 74-95 miles per hour.
- Category 2 hurricanes have sustained winds of 96-110 miles per hour.
- Category 3 hurricanes yield sustained winds of 111-129 miles per hour.
- Category 4 hurricanes produce sustained winds of 130-156 miles per hour.
- Category 5 hurricanes maintain winds of an incredible 157 miles per hour or higher.
Potential Damage for Each Category
The Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Scale estimates the type of damage that will occur with each Category.
- Categories 1 and 2 are expected to cause some damage and extensive damage, respectively.
- Category 3 hurricanes generally cause devastating damage.
- Category 4 and 5 hurricanes create catastrophic damage.
- You may recall Hurricane Dorian in 2019. It struck the Bahamas as a Category 5 hurricane. Its highest sustained wind was recorded at 185 miles per hour! It virtually destroyed the island of Abaco. That level of devastation is difficult to imagine.
The Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Scale rating system is in place to help people prepare when a hurricane is headed toward them. It helps people to know the extent to prepare and what supplies are needed in order to protect themselves and their homes. For most this means boarding up their windows or deploy their hurricane shutters, to either remain inside or evacuate.
Start preparing for Hurricanes Now
When a hurricane is headed your way, being safe should be your number one priority. Hurricanes often speed up without much warning and can change directions suddenly. Because of this, you do not want to take hours boarding up your windows and doors. Hurricanes are difficult enough to endure, but boarding up your windows adds to the difficulty by making it feel like you are hiding out in a dark cave.
Hurricane shutter, including an Amor Screen, provides a fast and safe way to protect your home, your belongings, and most importantly, your family. With a wide variety of styles to choose from, we are sure to have a shutter system that fits your budget and needs. At Brevard Shutter, we make it our business to help make your home as safe as possible during a hurricane. We serve Melbourne, Cocoa, Rockledge, Palm Bay, Sebastian, Vero Beach, and the surrounding areas. We look forward to serving you.