You may have heard the silly song that was released on social media during the pandemic with the lyrics, “Bored in the house and I’m in the house bored.” That is the majority of the lyrics for the entire song! We can all relate to it having experienced the stay-at-home orders at the beginning of the pandemic. At Brevard Shutter, we realize you may also feel this way when you are cooped up for several days during a hurricane!
But first, hurricane preparation
When a storm is approaching, one of the first things you do during storm preparation is deploying your hurricane shutters. If you do not yet have hurricane shutters, then we highly encourage you to consider this worthwhile home improvement investment.
There is plenty to do while prepping for a big storm.
- Trips to the store to stock up on food, water, or toilet paper.
- Bringing in loose outdoor items, such as patio furniture, yard tools and toys.
- Trimming the trees and bushes so that they don’t get blown around causing damage.
Deploying your hurricane shutters is one of the fastest and easiest tasks you will have to do for storm preparation, but it is also one of the most important as they help ensure the safety of your home and you, as its occupants! Now What?
12 Ways to Avoid Boredom During a Hurricane
Supplies are purchased. Storm shutters are deployed. You’re stuck in the house for days. Now what? If you have electricity, your options are a little more varied.
You will still have access to TV and the internet. If cell towers are intact, you still have cell service. But, as you know, during a hurricane, many of us lose power at some point. Then, what do we do? We have become so dependent upon technology as our main entertainment factor that we often forget that there are other things to do in our homes that don’t require screens!
- Games, games, games are a great way to pass the time. Even one deck of cards can yield LITERALLY thousands of games!
- Board games provide hours of entertainment.
- Play charades. You may be surprised how much you enjoy playing games and how much laughter will follow. It is said that “laughter is the best medicine.” It can definitely help relieve anxiety during a hurricane.
- Get caught up on any reading. If you don’t have many books factor in a trip as part of your preparation.
- Get caught up on indoor projects. Remember that linen closet you have been wanting to organize? Well, you have nothing better to do and you can’t leave the house, so start organizing!
- Do the kids’ bedrooms need to be cleaned out? Bag up those old toys for donation! Then, when the storm is over, you will have plenty of time for outdoor tasks because all your indoor work is done!
- Get creative with some art projects like drawing and painting.
- Clean Everything!
- Mend old clothes
- Look through old photo albums.
- Do a puzzle.
- Get out a pen and paper and write down what’s going on so you’ll have memories forever.
You have a good list of 12 ways to avoid boredom during a hurricane. If you don’t have hurricane shutters yet, then put that at the top of your “to do” list and give us a call at Brevard Shutter!
We have a wide variety of shutters in different styles and price points, such as Accordion shutters, Bahama Shutters, and Roll Up Shutters. Brevard Shutters is located in Melbourne and serve all of Brevard and Indian River Counties, so if you live in Rockledge, Merritt Island, Sebastian, Vero Beach, or the surrounding areas, please give contact us for your hurricane shutter needs today!