For most people, your home and/or your business is your most important physical asset and investment. It needs to be properly protected from wind, rain, and water intrusion. The expert team at Brevard Shutters & Accessories located in Melbourne, FL, has completed hundreds of residential and commercial shutter installations throughout Brevard, Indian River, and St. Lucie counties.
We have seen many well-intended, do-it-yourself attempts go sideways just as potential storms are churning in the Atlantic or Gulf of Mexico. However, if you take on the challenge, Brevard Shutters & Accessories offers a walk-in service for the DIY Hurricane Shutters projects. You can visit our showroom and pick up almost any parts you need. If it is not in stock, we can have most any part ready for pick up within a couple of days.
If service is what you’re after, we have one of the most competitive service plans in the industry. Whether it is a one-time service or a service plan agreement BSA will provide you with a quality reliable service to keep your shutter system working properly for many years to come. We also offer a warranty plan with our service agreement that is unprecedented in the industry.
The Importance of Hurricane Protection
“In an active season, hurricane protection can protect your home or building from destruction and can be the difference between life and death. Hurricane protection limits damage to window and door openings caused by debris and high-speed winds. They also protect your structure from depressurization which can cause a total collapse.” Source: International Hurricane Protection Association
Thirty-three…that is the alarming number of named storms the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and other sources combined are predicting for the June 1 to November 30, 2021 hurricane season. That is an exhaustive amount of self-installing and self-removing of plywood or non-permanent DIY hurricane shutters if that is your defense plan. Choosing to shop online or in the big box stores for the DIY shutter kits, might save a little bit of money…maybe. But you won’t save your valuable time, yourself from the hassle if something doesn’t fit just right, and you may miss out on the ongoing service and warranty provided by a reputable, local hurricane shutter installation company.
There are multiple advantages of skipping the DIY hurricane shutters route and leaving the installation to the professionals. Here are a few to focus on as we are less than three months out from another 30+ predicted hurricane season:
- Accuracy of Window Measurements:
We cannot stress this enough as inaccurate measurements will throw off your whole project, result in frustration, repackaging the kits, and going through the hassle of return and replacement with the online or big-box retailer. That weekend project quickly becomes “weekend projects” erasing any advantage of maybe saving a few bucks. At Brevard Shutters & Accessories, Inc. our expertly trained team will have your measurements right the first time.
- Peace of Mind:
Ultimately what your seeking is confidence and comfort that your family, home, and/or business will be protected in the event of a catastrophic hurricane or even a mild tropical storm. Just about all shutter systems can give you that easy feeling while you are away from home. Some shutters may take longer to deploy than others so if this is a concern you should give it some thought. The Accordion and Roll-up shutters designed and installed by Brevard Shutters will give you practical peace of mind. The simplicity of these shutters will allow you to secure your home or business quickly, without any inconvenience.
- Reductions in your Electric Bill Making your Home more Energy Efficient with a Tight Expert Window Fit:
Another reason to consider professional installation of shutters for windows and doors is heat transfer. With energy costs on the rise, you could reduce your energy cost by as much as 40%. FPL says, “An easy way to reduce your cooling costs is to shade windows and doors from the sun”.
Shutters stop the sunlight from ever entering the room. While there are several different ways homes experience energy loss and increased energy cost, the main reasons are:
- Air leakage around doors and windows 35%
- Doors and windows (heat transfer from direct sunlight) 20%
- eere.energy.gov states, “The Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Clearinghouse says that roughly 40% of heat build-up and heat loss is through windows and doors inside your home. External shading is the most effective home treatment to counter these effects. Shading the exposed windows and doors can reduce temperatures by as much as 20 degrees.”
These facts also reemphasize the critical requirement of perfect measurements.
- Be Realistic About Your Talent, Time, and Patience: In securing a professional and reputable shutter installation company, you are securing an expert partner from start to finish, and beyond. You are going to need the hardware, tools, durable materials, shutters designed for the style, protection, and optics, a skillset in framing, and exact measurements to finish what you are trying to achieve within your budget. Extensive research will be necessary for a project you may take on only once or twice in a lifetime. Meanwhile, the experts are installing home after home, business after business, windows, and doors of all makes, sizes, frames, and function every single day. The DIY hurricane shutters approach may start out simple and painless, but it can rapidly become overwhelming and daunting, especially with Florida’s heat and pop-up afternoon thunderstorms. Your weekend timeline completion goal is likely to be disrupted. Come Monday morning when you are leaving for work and you see a half-done project, your patience is out the window, without a shutter.
Either way, DIY or professional installation and quality products offered by Brevard Shutters & Accessories, the wholistic benefits of shutters are priceless: ease and convenience, peace of mind, protection from wind and water, curbside appeal, added home value, and energy efficiency.
At Brevard Shutters & Accessories of Melbourne, FL we will provide you a free, custom estimate. We encourage you to visit our onsite showroom. You are making an important investment in your home’s or business’s sustainability; wouldn’t you prefer to see what can be done in person, locally, rather than a hopeful guess with an online or big box hurricane kit? We can walk you through the whole process of how a variety of traditionally popular and innovatively trending hurricane shutters can work for you specifically.
With less than three months until the official start of hurricane season, we anticipate a surge in home preparers. We are also ready for the holdouts who may be waiting until there is an imminent threat. If you do take on the tedious project of hurricane shutter installation in Brevard, Indian River or St. Lucie counties and it does not work out quite as planned, call or visit Brevard Shutters & Accessories, the area’s premier hurricane protection company, and we will help you get it just right, and introduce you to our service and warranty plan to keep it right.